Okay, I probably should be upfront about this. Perhaps I should have mentioned this before.
I have an unnatural fear of libraries.
Don't get me wrong, I can go visit our local library with no problem. It's just University Libraries, with their multiple floors and low ceilings, and rows and rows of stacks with musty old books that gives me the creeps. The cold fluorescent lights, the "copy cards" and "circulation desks." Brrrr. Besides, you can do everything online now.
Yesterday I went to the library, and not just to get a cup of coffee. Whoa. Big steps. One week to go in the semester, and I finally break that wall. Progress!
Actually, I found so much information there, I went AGAIN today. And when I was meandering through the 6th floor stacks, I ran into one of my classmates from the 1st year Ph. D cohort. I smiled and waved. That's right, Stan's in the library!
I found books that I wanted to examine further, but I had no copy card (why do you need a copy card? I don't need one when I'm in the j-building). and I felt like an old fart using a pad and pencil to write down things. Well, to my surprise, they actually lend books out to you there! And you can use an automated check out, so you don't feel like a goofball. Imagine that!
So, once I fiddled around with this new fangled technology, I checked out my books- one on technology and communication, another on qualitative research methods. Sweet.
As I walked out of the library, I ran into another friend from the 1st year cohort. I smiled and waved. That's right. Stan's checkin' out books from the library!
I feel so scholarly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment