9.11.2008

School Daze

Well, it's been a week and a half since the beginning of classes, and now, after a few go-rounds with the faculty and students, I feel comfortable enough to begin my assessment of things.



For this term, I am taking three classes (which, believe it or not, is quite a full load, especially when thesis* research is included and my TA responsibilities). So, without further ado, here is the breakdown...



My first class, is a seminar in mass media history. It's course number is in the 600s, and therefore, I suspected, would be the "easy" class. HA! My first class was a week ago Wednesday, and I thought it was suspicious that everyone knew each other, except for me. I also thought it was suspicious that they all appeared to be my age or older, another strange sign (for previous classes, I was the old guy in the room, as noted prior).



Turns out, the student breakdown was as follows. Seven students, four members of the second year Ph.D cohort, two students from Denmark, and me, the lowly M.A. guy. Described in the syllabus, this is a "doctoral seminar", which explains why the two Danes bolted after the first class. That's okay, I actually really like the topic, the professor, and I feel like I can hold my own in it.



As for my second class, an introduction to research methods, there are nine students enrolled. Guess what? Eight of them know each other. Why, you ask? That's right, they're all first year Ph.D students. Hey, they're not smarter than me- as a matter of fact, some might argue that I'm ahead of them, because I've got a year plan, while they're up for at least another three! Oh, and this too is a "doctoral seminar". Which begs the question- shouldn't I be just getting my doctorate if I'm going through all of this malarkey?

My final class, the seminar in public affairs reporting is a little more like it. A TON of reading (oh, and there's a ton of reading for the others too) and is full of a mix of undergrad, grads and one of the 2nd year Ph.D students, who now I almost feel like I have a kinship with (as in, we're the smart guys). Or, maybe it's all in my head. The class itself doesn't lead directly into my thesis, but I thought it would be a great experience because it is during the election, and the professor is world renowned for his teaching in journalism. Actually, all of the professors are really, really good. I'm excited to learn from them all.

So, yes it is a bit overwhelming, but then any great leap always is. In the back of my mind, there are two voices. One says "what are you going to do, go crazy trying to keep up with these Ph. D students? Are you mad?" The other says, "well, what the heck are you going to take when YOU go for your Ph.D?" I like the second voice better, although he's obviously not the one who pays the bills.

* I HAVE a thesis topic. Detail to follow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - you be a busy critter! Do you need me to send you a bookmark or two to keep everything straight?

Mere

CharlieReed2004 said...

Back when I was ghost-writing thesis papers for Masters students, I was lucky enough to do one on the history of mass media. It was extremely well researched, I must say, and I argued that newspapers were only made possible by advertising advancements.

I got A's on all "my" papers but that one, which had the professor's comment, "It is obvious that you have never once set foot in my class."

So, as advice, I say do not quote Kalle Lasn. Noam Chomsky's safe, but stay away from Lasn. He's academic malamine.